CCA Film Festival…Take Five!

Photo Credit: Ryan Arnst

Katherine Burklin and Jimmy Perez hosting CCA's Film Festival at the Calvary C

Alexandra Gomez, Staff Writer/Managing Editor
November 4, 2011
Filed under Fine Arts, Reviews

The gates are checked, the footage edited, and the tickets are bought. All that’s left to do is sit back and watch as the screen fades in from black and the opening credits roll for the Fifth Annual CCA Film Festival presented in the Calvary Chapel Theatre on September 9. Hilariously hosted by Calvary students, Jimmy Perez and Katherine Burklin, the Festival showcased nine student films, as well as two feature presentations and two musical performances.

A curtain-raiser CCA Video Production—Five Years of Memories, edited by Edgar Torres—set to a live musical performance of “We Will Rise,” by Taylor Hecocks preceded the first short films from the Digital Video Production 1 class: “There’s Gnome Place Like Home,” by Dawson Allen, Aaron Richter, and Phil Kalicharan, and “Countdown,” by Andrew Davis.
These were followed by Digital Video Production 2 offerings, “Pizza Day,” by Chris Crilly; “On the Inside,” by Trevor Viner; “Trapped,” by Jose Ordonez; “The One Who Redeems,” by Ryan Arnst. Digital Video Production 3 brought “Masterpiece,” by Kyle Lackore, who won best film. Finally, from Digital Video Production 4, student films, “The Perfect Self-Deception,” and “.COMmunication” by CCA alumnus, David Vendrell, finished out the pre-intermission lineup.

Winners presented by Doug Scott, CEO of United States Media Television, and followed by a September 11 Tribute performance of “God of the City” (Chris Tomlin) by Johnny Jones. The show closed with feature presentations of “The Sound of Midnight,” by alumnus Jacob Kaufman, from Digital Video Production 4, and “Operation 15:13,” by the Media Endorsement class.
Mr. Rick Negron, high school video production teacher, helps students with their projects, and guides all four production classes. He encourages not only his students, but kids who are not in the Digital Video Production classes, to be involved.

“Whether you act or help on crew, you can contribute to the process. It’s a team effort, and takes a lot of people and resources,” he said. He sees the Film Festival as an event no student should miss—full of laughs, perhaps a few tears, and some great fun, as well as an opportunity to support their peers.
“God does unique things with kids at CCA, and other students, families, and the community should come to view the talent that their peers have,” he said.

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!