Barack Obama. The Good. The Bad. The Truth.

Kyle Swenson, Staff Writer
January 12, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Student Life

With the 2012 presidential election right around the corner, the question of whether or not Barack Obama was a successful president during his four-year term in office is now up for hot debate. Every political analyst from every major network have their own personal opinions on the subject and are very passionate about their ideas. Even here at CCA, that question was raised.

In Miss Laura Torres’ American Government class there was debate on this topic, as as they also discussed the seven roles of the president, which are Head of State, Chief Executive, Chief Legislator, Chief Diplomat, Commander and Chief, Party Leader, and Economic Planner.

“We have been talking in class about presidents, and what their roles are, and with the 2012 election coming up, I felt like it was a good time to discuss what the president is actually responsible for,” explained Ms. Torres. “We are reviewing our president now so we can have a good idea of what we want from our next president!”

Half of the students took the side that Barack Obama was indeed a good president. When Senior Samantha Whittall to explain her reasons for thinking this way, she said, “Well, he had Osama bin Laden killed, our troops are finally coming home, and he has passed a lot of bills while in office.”

Some of the bills Whittall is inferring is the “Cash For Clunkers Act,” a three billion dollar federal program that was set up to encourage Americans to trade in their old cars “clunkers” for cash to go buy a newer and more fuel efficient car. The other bill passed under Barack Obama’ administration was the “Hiring Incentives to Restore Employment Act, a.k.a “The Hire Act”. The “Hire Act” gives businesses tax breaks and incentives to businesses to hire unemployed individuals.

The other half of the students took the side that Barack Obama was a bad president. They debated that over the past three years, America’s debt has skyrocketed a shocking and somewhat terrifying four trillion dollars!

Along with a ridiculous amount of debt, the students argued, we’ve also had the highest unemployment rate since The Great Depression. By the end of the year, the government believes that the unemployment rate will reach a stunning 9.1% of Americans not having a job. That means that by 2012, nearly twenty seven million Americans will be unemployed. Senior, David Brown commented, “America is not happy with where Obama is taking us and people are letting their voices be heard.”

The debate ended with this notion: whether some like him or not, Barack Obama is our president. And as Christians, we are called by God to listen to our leaders.

The Bible says in Hebrews 13:17: “Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.” 

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!