A Model of Love

a model of love

Related Content

Last 5 Stories in Social Scene

Other stories that might interest you...

Jessie Gushue and Dawson Allen, Staff Writers
April 3, 2012
Filed under Social Scene, Student Life

Guys + Girls=Relationship. In a girl’s mind, that’s what we see. But sometimes that equation is not as easy as 1 + 1=2. That’s because if the foundation upon which that formula was built is not firm, the end result is not good. It’s wobbly. It’s thorny. It’s complicated. It’s…a danger zone. 

What’s that firm foundation, you ask? Christ, of course. He is our example of love, and His Word gives us a blueprint of what love is: “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” –1 Corinthians 13:4-7

As we continue to pursue living in God, the relationships that have been built and centered on Him catch our attention, giving us a model of how pursuing His example of love can be accomplished through our relationships. 

The following couples caught our attention, for they are in every sense, a “model of love.”  

Josh Agarth and Kayla Ellis

He Said… (written by Dawson Allen)

How did you guys meet, and what started the attraction?

Josh Agarth: Kayla [Ellis] and I met in 6th grade when I first came to CCA, and became friends the next year. Over several years we became such good friends that we grew into a relationship. Our decision to “date” was defined with a whole lot of prayer and counsel from parents and church leaders.

Christian Sorjen: I started liking her [Katherine Burklin] for a while before asking her to prom. She was just so nice and kind hearted; I wanted to be apart of it.

What are the struggles you face in your relationship?

Josh: Kayla and I both agree that communication is the biggest struggle we face in our relationship. Sometimes it’s my fault, sometimes it’s both of us, but it is always my fault…

Christian: We also struggle with communication; when you’re upset, it’s hard to get your feeling and thoughts out.

What is the best thing about your relationship?

Josh: I know I have a solid best friend, and that Kayla is not going to get mad at me if I want to go hang out with a small group of guys instead of the two of us hanging out. She’s slow to anger, wise, faithful, and in some levels an example to me.

Christian: We’re able to tease and laugh with each other, as well as be serious when we have to be.

How do you keep God as the center of your relationship and what advice would you give to other Christian couples?

Josh: Keeping God at the center of any relationship is critical for it to be healthy. To have God at the center of your life, you need to have solid accountability with at least one other person that is wiser than you.

Christian: When both of you strive to grow closer to God, you will grow closer together as a couple.

What qualities should high school relationships have? What makes them a successful experience?

Josh: High school relationships, in my perspective, need to be approached with prayer and counsel from a mentor, some one who will give you accountability. Be respectful to feelings of others, and with the regards to the girl’s parents.

Christian: A successful relationship is not only trusting each other, but also trusting God to lead you in your decisions.

Christian Sorjen & Kathryn Burklin

She Said… (written by Jessie Gushue)

How did you guys meet? What started the attraction?

Kayla Ellis: We met in the 6th grade, and became friends a year later. As we got older, we started to like each other, but stayed focused on our relationships with God. We waited for about three years before dating.

Katherine Burklin: We first met in ninth grade, and became good friends during junior year. The attraction started after I began spending more time with him, when I realized how much I enjoyed being together.

What struggles do you face in your relationship?

Kayla: Whenever we have struggles, it’s usually because we aren’t communicating well.

Katherine: Communication. Sometimes, it’s hard to get your feelings and thoughts out.

How do you keep God as the center of your relationship? What advice would you give to other Christian couples?

Kayla: Christian couples or Christians who desire to be in a relationship should make sure that Jesus is truly at the center of their lives before they start dating anyone.

Katherine: Pray, and as you grow closer to God, you grow closer together.

Kayla: We are best friends, and I know that I can confide in him. We’ve been able to set a good example for our peers, and prove that high school relationships can work well if Christ is at the center.

Katherine: Being able to laugh and tease each other through our friendship, as well as relationship.

Kayla: There are three things that make for a successful relationship: 1. Be friends first, take things slowly. 2. Create boundaries, and do not cross them. 3. Make sure that your decisions would be pleasing to the Lord.

Katherine: You should be able to trust each other. And a successful experience is honoring God in your relationship.

What makes a best friend?
Jennie Wilkie: A best friend is the person you find yourself with at all times. When you aren’t together, you feel like a part of you is missing. They should bring out the best in you, and you can confide anything and everything in them down to the smallest detail, knowing they will never judge you; they’re someone who will stand up for you no matter how stupid you may have acted.

Christine Lakatos: They have to have a compatible personality with you, and the relationship has to be mutually trusting. Whatever you tell your best friend should be confidential.

What does a best friend contribute to a friendship, and how are they different from regular friends?
Jennie: True friends are those who are by your side through the “thick and thin,” but a best friend is the one who feels the pain in the thick, and the joy in the thin, as if it were their own.

Christine: Best friends both need to contribute an even amount into the friendship. It’s teamwork.  A regular friend will find out important things that happen to you after you have already told your best friend. You may confide in a “regular” friend once in a while, but overall, your best friend is the only person that knows everything about you.

What makes a best friend special, and what is special about your best friend?
Jennie: My best friendship with Chris is so special, because we came into each other’s lives at the PERFECT times—when we both were about to experience some of the hardest in our lives. We have gone through all of our own pains, struggles, and obstacles with the other by our side. I can confidently say that I would die for Chris…that, right there, proves that she is truly my best friend.

Christine: Jennie has been the one person in my life that has been through the worst of times, and the best times with me. She always knows the right words to say in any given situation, but also knows when I just need someone to listen. Jennie makes me laugh like no one else. I can’t imagine going through high school without her.

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!