The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: Play Review

Alexandra Gomez, Staff Writer/Managing Editor
December 21, 2011
Filed under Fine Arts, Fine Arts Feature, Top Stories

On Friday, November 11 and Saturday, November 12, Calvary Christian Academy showcased an adaption of a C.S. Lewis masterpiece, Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in the Calvary Chapel Theatre. Originally done in the Hollywood Theatre, Calvary had the opportunity to re-showcase this story, with new props, more intricate sets, and different elements of production.

“It starts, like so many wonderful stories do, with a discovery,” said Director, Mr. Tim Flay. “In a lost, almost forgotten corner of a room not often ventured into, a young, innocent little girl discovers a magical portal,” one that leads into a grand realm that nearly exceeds the imagination. Playing the leads were high school students, Christian Sjogren (Aslan), Kristen Jones (Jadis, the White Witch), Katherine Burklin (Susan), LJ Dutton (Peter), Matt Schieffer (Edmund) and Susanna Quinn (Lucy) as their respective roles, joined by a talented and creative cast and crew.

“It was absolutely amazing,” said an spectator from the audience. “Everything was tremendously professional, the sets were beautiful, and you could tell that the students worked hard to put this show together.”

Worth mentioning was the intricate set of the Beavers’ Dam, the forest including The Lamppost, and Mr. Tumnus’s Home. The characters were personified perfectly with the phenomenal makeup artistry by professional make up artist, Cliff Turner. He designed, airbrushed, and applied prosthetics to the main characters and forest creatures. With the capable actors and technicians—all CCA students—the Calvary Chapel Theatre was transformed into “a world full of adventure, peril, wonder, tragedy, hope, and victory. There were the villains, the unlikely heroes, the wise guides, and a large host of followers—both good and evil,” said Mr. Flay.

C.S. Lewis’ The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe has profoundly influenced its audience since it was first released in October 1950. Not even Lewis had any idea how the story came about in his mind; it just did. “I don’t know where the Lion came from or why he came,” Lewis said in an interview. “But once he was there, he pulled the whole story together, and soon he pulled the six other Narnian stories in after him.” What’s even more remarkable about this tale is that it mirrors the “greatest story ever told,” about the most incredible Man that ever lived, who made the most incredible sacrifice for mankind.

At the end of each show, both cast and audience were seen leaving the building, and one could wonder if the picture in their minds was of the great Aslan still walking among us.

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!