Chorus Goes to NYC

Alexandra Gomez, Staff Writer/Managing Editor
March 31, 2014

The lights, the skyscrapers, the food, the smell, the iconic skyline, all so unique to New York City, and in Carnegie Hall: a place so famous that anybody who’s anybody has performed there,  including Ike & Tina Turner, Billie Holiday, The Beatles (twice), and some of the best orchestras,... (more...)

A Time for Everything. Dance Concert Review

March 31, 2014

In this world, there will be sadness and joy, hurt and healing, times of both peace and destruction for reasons that cannot be understood or explained. This concept has lingered throughout history as a simple well-known phrase, and could not have been better exemplified than in this year’s... (more...)

The Heart Behind… what you do.

Alexandra Gomez, Writer/Managing Editor
March 31, 2014

Do you define yourself by it? By the sport you play, or the songs you listen to. By the style you dance, or the things you create. Judy Collins, American singer and songwriter eloquently put, “I think people who are creative are the luckiest people on earth. I know that there are no shortcuts,... (more...)

Alex

Editor’s Note

Alexandra Gomez, Managing Editor
January 8, 2014

The perfect gift. For some, it comes in a picture perfect box with a big red bow, while for others, it cannot be wrapped or exchanged. For us, it is the One that God gave us: His Son, Emmanuel, appropriately defined as “God with us.” As we began to plan this special Christmas edition this... (more...)

What's in a Friendship?

What’s In A Friendship?

Alexandra Gomez, Managing Editor
December 13, 2013

In its simplest form, a friendship is a bond between two people. A bond of mutual trust that forms from similar interest, beliefs, or ideas. You know it’s real when, if you get in trouble, they stay with you and have your back. That person is there to support you, and while what they do or... (more...)

Truth- does it stand?

Truth: Does It Stand? Is It Loud?

Alexandra Gomez, Managing Editor
December 11, 2013

The problem of today is that while we once defined fact as absolute, unyielding reality, the concept has been twisted to what someone perceives as fact in his or her own worldview. This relativism has become the world’s doctrine, allowing for conflicts caused by differing views on the topics... (more...)

You can't take it with you

You Can’t Take It With You

Alexandra Gomez, Managing Editor
December 11, 2013

For most modern Americans, life is padlocked in the fast lane. Get up early, get ready, and eat breakfast as fast as you can so you can get to work or school on time. Work tirelessly throughout the day and deal with the stress and anxiety it may incur. Then drive through traffic until getting... (more...)

Alex G

Editor’s Note

Alexandra Gomez, Managing Editor
November 20, 2013

Your clothes. Your attitude. What you say, or don’t say.  Your priorities. Your goals. What you do, or don’t do. Do you stand out like flashing neon on a black-painted wall, or are you safely blended into your surroundings, coasting along the status quo and what society dictates as acceptable,... (more...)

David and Lisa

DAVID AND LISA: Play Review

Alexandra Gomez, Entertainment Writer/Managing Editor
June 5, 2013

It was unlike anything CCA has ever produced—both dark and serious while at times light and humorous, the laughs “innocent and genuine, the points of conflict raw and sad,” according to director Mr. Tim Flay. Within the turbulent journey of a young man traumatized by the fabricated demons... (more...)

Chapel_4

Ascending to the Throne

June 5, 2013

We’ve changed the theme. We’ve mixed up the speakers. We’ve narrowed the focus. And we’ve also transformed worship. Along with the “Ascent” outlook of middle school and high school Chapel has come a reform for the worship team. Led by youth leader Bobby Bemis, it has become something... (more...)

bandchoralconcert

Band and Choral Concert Review

June 5, 2013

Whether it’s the steady rhythms of percussion, the lilting notes of the woodwinds, the clear-cut wail of the bass, the reverberating thrum of the strings, or the echoes of several voices in tune, music is music, no matter what its form. Classical or rock, jazz or electronic, synth or orchestral,... (more...)

college_wb

COLLEGE JUST AHEAD: Prepare!

June 5, 2013

As students, we are told that high school is a time of preparation. For college, I mean. For our future, so we will do something of consequence when we graduate. But no matter how much we shove things aside—homework, quizzes, tests, the occasional quest, SAT prep, ACT prep, etc.—preparation... (more...)

Editor’s Note: The “What If” Factor

Alexandra Gomez, Managing Editor
May 28, 2013

Every senior has heard the question. By now, most of them are probably sick of it. And only some of them have a definitive answer. “Where are you going?” It’s a simple question that can elicit a feeling of dread so close to the end of the year. Whereas it may be easy to answer the simple... (more...)

godspell

Godspell Rocks the House

Alexandra Gomez, Writer
October 31, 2012

A dusty alley beside a Manhattan street. A dumpster on the corner, surrounded by empty Starbucks cups, used napkins, and other such litter. Along with a metal staircase leading to the apartments above, the brick-stone wall decorated with colorful graffiti. Such was the setting of New York City... (more...)

jeremy

CONCERT REVIEW: Jeremy Camp’s We Cry Out Tour

June 7, 2012

Jonny Jones’s voice resounded through the supersized speakers of the Sunset Grove Amphitheatre, attracting the attention of the people as they came in droves. Whether he was singing or speaking, Johnny’s voice carried over with warmth and depth, and it was hard to believe this was one of... (more...)

beauty

PLAY REVIEW: Beauty and the Beast

June 7, 2012

It’s a Disney classic we all know and love. In a faraway castle in France, lives a boorish and spoiled prince. When an old woman offers a rose in exchange for shelter from the bitter cold, he sends her away in light of her haggard appearance. She leaves him with a warning: not to be fooled... (more...)

seniors

So, What’s Next?

Alexandra Gomez, Managing Editor
May 29, 2012

As the school year comes to an end, it feels like the CCA body is collectively letting out a big breath. If you haven’t, go ahead. Do it now. Ah, yes, the seniors are probably thinking: Wow! we made it. The juniors are eyeing the crown—next spot in the dynamics of high school hierarchy... (more...)

New York, New York… The City of Lights

April 2, 2012

The Carnegie Hall Program, run by a group called Manhattan Concert Productions, invite students all over the country by process of either: the indication of a national conductor, or if the school receives a superior ranking at a state-level competition. Last May 2011, Calvary Christian Academy’s... (more...)

Rising above it

Alexandra Gomez, Managing Editor
April 2, 2012

Foreign countries. World nations. However phrased, often times they seem unattached to our world. Watching the breaking news seems slightly unreal, even when seeing whole villages torn apart by a fluke tsunami, or lands leveled to dust by nuclear explosion. Nations are set apart by geography... (more...)

Narnia_web

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: Play Review

December 21, 2011

On Friday, November 11 and Saturday, November 12, Calvary Christian Academy showcased an adaption of a C.S. Lewis masterpiece, Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in the Calvary Chapel Theatre. Originally done in the Hollywood Theatre, Calvary had the opportunity to re-showcase... (more...)

CCA Film Festival…Take Five!

November 4, 2011

The gates are checked, the footage edited, and the tickets are bought. All that’s left to do is sit back and watch as the screen fades in from black and the opening credits roll for the Fifth Annual CCA Film Festival presented in the Calvary Chapel Theatre on September 9. Hilariously hosted... (more...)

thelionthewitch

Announcing The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

September 19, 2011

Coming this November, the Department of Performing Arts is starting off the winter season with a family favorite, C.S. Lewis’s, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Although previously showcased by CCA in the 2003-2004 school-year, this production will play again—this time with new students,... (more...)

Journey Literary Magazine Announces its Winners…

Alexandra Gomez
July 19, 2011

Last December, Calvary Christian Academy embarked on a new journey… Journey Literary Magazine, that is. The idea of a literary magazine was debuted in December when a writing, art, and photography competition for students in grades 6 – 12 was announced. Students interested in those artistic... (more...)

CCA Rolls Out the Red Carpet at Awards Night

Alexandra Gomez
July 19, 2011

Dozens of Calvary Christian Academy high school students were recognized at the school’s annual Academic Awards Night, held Tuesday, May 3, at the Calvary Chapel Theatre. Before the program began at 7pm, CCA families, teachers, and administrators had a chance to spend some time at The Grill,... (more...)

New Chorus Teachers: Mr. Joey Baham & Mrs. Tami Pettingell

Alexandra Gomez
July 18, 2011

Music teachers Mr. Joey Baham and Mrs. Tammi Pettingell Toward the middle of the school year, God has called Mr. McCaw, previous middle and high school Chorus teacher,  over to Ocean’s Edge School. So, who would be teaching the CCA chorus classes? Students wanted to know. We went behind... (more...)

Beauty for Ashes: A Fight Against Injustice

Alexandra Gomez
April 8, 2011

Human Trafficking. Imagine the horror. In the word of Kevin Bales of Free the Slaves, 27 million people worldwide are victims. According to the U.S. department of State and Justice respectively, approximately eight million people are trafficked across international borders every year, 50% of... (more...)

Thespians Society: Shaping Lives Through Theatre

Alexandra Gomez
January 11, 2011

The International Thespians Society (Thespians) was founded in 1929 as a division of the Educational Theatre Association, and is the honor society for both middle school and high school students. “To obtain membership in the society, and become ‘thespians’ the performance of meritorious... (more...)

CCA’s First Literary Magazine

Alexandra Gomez
January 10, 2011

This school year, CCA is introducing a new publication entitled, Journey, the school’s first literary magazine, which will be released in the spring of each school year. According to Maritza Cosano-Gomez, Journalism teacher and Creative Director of CCA’s Communications Department that’s... (more...)

People are Talking About: Mrs. Fairclough

Alexandra Gomez
January 10, 2011

“I believe that in this walk, no matter how old we are, we can learn. We are walking together, and when I meet the students and people who are here, I find that it’s a journey that we are all walking together.” Originally from the “Big Apple”—New York, NY—Andrea Fairclough is... (more...)

Charlotte’s Web: A Play Review

Alexandra Gomez
May 3, 2010

“A friend loves at all times.” – Proverbs 17:17 This past April 22-25, Charlotte’s Web by Joseph Robinette, based on E.B. White’s classical children’s story, spun into the light at the Calvary Chapel Theatre with Wilbur (Jonah Carrignan) and his animal—and not so animal—friends.... (more...)

CCA Performs Creation: A Concert in Dance…And It was Good!

Alexandra Gomez
March 25, 2010

Play Review “In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth.” –Genesis 1:1 Sometimes the talent that comes to the Calvary Chapel Theatre is made of the stuff the heavens are made of—brilliant stars. Such was the case this past March 19-21, when Creation: A Dance in Concert—a... (more...)

UP CLOSE & PERSONAL Knowing God and Making Him Known

Alexandra Gomez
March 11, 2010

Life is a long lesson in humility, unity, grace, and leadership. This we learned as an eighth grade class on our first missions trip to the Bahamas last month. These simple four words, often used to describe the qualities required in a missionary, were the basic pillars of a series of exercises... (more...)

“Lions, Tigers, and Bears, Oh My!” A Wizard of Oz Review

Alexandra Gomez
February 18, 2010

There’s no place like home,” and there will never be another play quite like this one, a dazzling fantasy musical so beautifully directed by Lisa Flay and acted by elementary and secondary students that it deserves its classic status on CCA’s “best plays list.” From silly scarecrows,... (more...)